Many years ago I learnt how to make rice from an amazing Indian chef. I’ve used her recipe and variations of it ever since and they have never failed. This is a delicious variation.
250g Basmati rice
¾ pt chicken stock
1 small onion, sliced
1tsp light olive oil
1 large lemon, zest & juice
¼ tsp turmeric or strands of saffron
(I tend to use turmeric to accompany curries and saffron to accompany lighter dishes.)
- Soak the rice in cold water while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Zest & juice the lemon.
- Slice the onion.
- Brown the onions in the olive oil.
- While they are browning make up the stock, including the lemon juice and the saffron if you’re using it.
- Rinse and drain the rice.
- Add lemon rind to pan.
- Add the rice and coat with the oil and onions.
- Sprinkle in the turmeric if you are using it.
- Stir in the stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Put on a well-fitting lid.
- Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Turn off heat but leave on hob for about 15 minutes.
- No matter how much you are tempted to, do not remove the lid. It won’t work if you do!