Life is getting back to normal this week after spending all of June so far writing reports and having my Knight in Shining Armour at home sick. I’ve been enjoying pottering in the kitchen again not just heating ready meals. This is one of my favourite quick supper recipes – the peppers just melt in your mouth – and as an added bonus it’s gluten free.
Stuffed Romano Peppers
1 portion Bolognese sauce (my recipe is below)
- Cut the pepper in half and de-seed.
- Lightly coat with olive oil
- Put in a hot oven 190o for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon the Bolognese sauce into the pepper.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Return to the oven to melt the cheese.
Delicious on their own or with salad and pasta.
This is my cheat’s recipe for healthy, thrifty Bolognese sauce.
400 g lean minced beef
1 jar Dolmino Light Bolognese sauce
100 g dried red lentils
½ jar water
- Brown the mince – no need to add extra oil.
- Stir in the Bolognese sauce.
- ½ fill the jar with water and add to pan.
- Stir in the lentils.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add extra water if required.
When cool, I usually divide the sauce into 4 portions for freezing.