We had an old favourite for supper tonight. I’ve been making Koftas for as long as I can remember. The recipe is slightly different every time depending on what I have in the store cupboards, fridge and how much time I have. The quantities I’ve given are only a rough guide – I don’t usually weigh anything for this, which really annoyed my Knight in Shining Armour when he decided he wanted to learn how to make them.
(serves 2/3 as a main meal 4 as a starter)
400g lean lamb mince
1 large onion – chopped
1 tbsp mango chutney
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp corriander
1 tbsp mint
Tomato & Chilli Salad
4 large tomatoes
1 large onion
1 or 2 large green chillies
squeeze of lemon or lime
drizzle of olive oil
1. Put all the ingredients for the Koftas in a bowl. Be flexible – if I have no fresh mint I use mint sauce, if I have a fresh mango I use that and increase the spices. Depending on who is eating it I sometimes add chopped chilli.
2. Mix all the ingredients together with your fingers. If I’m in a hurry I zap it all in the food processor.
3. Shape into balls with wet fingers.
4. Put into a hot oven about 180°C for about 20 minutes. I usually check after 15.
5. If I have time I skin and de-seed the tomatoes.
6. Chop tomatoes, onions and chillies very finely. I take as much time as I can doing this because I don’t like eating large chunks of raw chilli. If I have fresh coriander I add a handful.
7. Mix the lemon/lime juice with the olive oil and drizzle over salad.
8. I served this with Pershwari Naan bread or rice.