The 9th day is Mince Pies (bottom left ). Traditionally they were filled meat. Samuel Pepys tells us his contained beef – can you tell we’re doing the Great Fire of London at school? – but their history goes back to the Crusades. This year I’ve tried using almond pastry.
(makes large pies)
175g plain flour
6 tbsp caster sugar
3 tbsp gound almonds
1 egg yolk
- Rub flour and butter together until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and almonds
- Bind with egg yolk beaten with the water.
- Roll out and cut with pastry cutters.
- Line individual tart tray.
- Fill with mincemeat –(I used Tesco finest mixed with home-made marmalade for an orangey flavour.)
- Dampen edges and fix top, making a small slit in each.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 200oC for about 20 minutes.