Day 3 is a Trifle (in the middle) which the Calendar says is a light alternative to Christmas Pudding. After a stressful day at work – interviews for a new Head – I made my cheat’s version, originally Delia’s but over the years it’s been adapted. As I was shopping in Tesco this week all the ingredients are from there except for the liqueur, though no doubt they sell that too.
My Version of Cheats Trifle
(enough for 4)
1 Raspberry Swiss Roll
Chambord – black raspberry liqueur
Red fruit and jelly terrine
Toasted Almond Flakes and Sugar Sprinkles.
- Arrange slices of Swiss roll in the bottom of a pudding dish or 4 glasses. (I prefer to use glasses, the layers look so pretty.)
- Soak in Chambord for 20/30 minutes.
- Spoon a layer of fruit jelly over sponge.
- Spoon a layer of custard over jelly. (If the custard is a bit runny I beat in some mascarpone but Tesco’s Cornish custard is fine on its own.)
- If you are feeling extravagant top with double cream.
- Decorate top with sugar strands and/or toasted almonds.